Welcome to INVEST Version 1.2!
- INVEST Version 1.2 is here! Read the INVEST 1.2 Summary of Revisions and then learn how to Translate Existing Evaluations to Version 1.2.
- Recent TRB presentations and webinar recordings available for download and viewing here.
- New Case Studies provide examples of how transportation agencies are using INVEST to improve sustainability. See a map of agencies using INVEST here.
- FHWA announces partnerships focusing on the INVEST Operations and Maintenance module.
Download INVEST User Toolkit (quick start guide, fact sheet, user guide, and slide presentation).
- The quick start guide provide a brief overview of how to get started with using INVEST.
- The fact sheet provides basic information about INVEST.
- The user guide includes background information, overview of the modules, information on functions such as collaborate, tips on setting up a scoring workshop, and specific examples of how transportation agencies used INVEST criteria to evaluate, score, and improve their level of sustainability.
The slide presentation offers an overview of INVEST. The presentation can be customized to make presentations to organization or stakeholders.
INVEST, the FHWA Sustainable Highways Self-Evaluation Tool
FHWA’s INVEST (Infrastructure Voluntary Evaluation Sustainability Tool) is a web-based self-evaluation tool comprised of voluntary sustainability best practices, called criteria, which cover the full lifecycle of transportation services, including system planning, project planning, design, and construction, and continuing through operations and maintenance. FHWA developed INVEST for voluntary use by transportation agencies to assess and enhance the sustainability of their projects and programs.
To accomplish this, the INVEST criteria are divided into four modules: System Planning for States (SPS), System Planning for Regions (SPR), Project Development (PD), and Operations and Maintenance (OM). These four sets of criteria comprise a comprehensive self-evaluation tool to aid agencies in evaluating the sustainability performance of their projects and programs. The SPS, SPR, and OM modules are intended for evaluating an agency’s programs and the PD module is for the evaluation of projects, from early project planning through construction. Each module is independent and is evaluated separately. The PD module consists of multiple scorecards designed to recognize the varying scope, scale, and context of projects across the country.
Although many agency and project efforts can already be considered sustainable, INVEST is focused on "above and beyond" efforts. No points are earned in INVEST for sustainability efforts that are typically required for federally-funded programs and projects. For instance, there are no points available for completing NEPA documentation because it is required for federally-funded projects.
INVEST aims to continually “raise the bar” in the field of transportation – as efforts defined as above-and-beyond become standard practice, INVEST will update criteria in an effort to improve sustainability outcomes in the field of transportation.
The INVEST Version 1.2 website provides users a lot of wide range of information, tools, and resources. Users can: